Charlotte and Kev's Big Trip

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Work work work

G'day.

Just a quick update to let you know that we're well and happy. We're still working here on the farm and although the work itself isn't too stimulating, it's enjoyable enough to keep us earning a decent bit of money to live off when we leave.

There isn't much to report, we've spent most of our days at work and evenings asleep. We had our now tri-weekly trip to the shops last week which was quite eventful. We took Sean and Mark, two of the Irish lads with us since they have no wheels of their own.

Halfway between the farm and civilisation, we went to overtake a truck, hit the accelerator, heard a snap and then the pedal went floppy. I hoped the throttle cable had just slipped off the lever but after pulling over and popping the 'bonnet' (the passenger seat), we found that the end of the cable had snapped off. We were miles from anywhere with no phone signal, so attempted to cobble together a fix with paper clips, bulldog clips, string and various other things that were lying about the van.

In the end, we just settled for wrapping a piece of string around the throttle lever, and I accelerated by pulling it. It's a new driving experience and one we wouldn't suggest you try, but it got us far enough. Luckily, one of the blokes from the farm lived in Humpty Doo so we got it to his house and he managed to improvise a fix which got us to the shops and then back to the farm.

The new throttle cable will be ordered tomorrow but this being the Northern Territory, who knows when it will arrive...

Tonight, Charlotte and I grabbed a Gator and took some pictures around the farm. So here they are:

Charlotte in the Gator:


The water boat that they go out crocodile spotting in. Sadly out of action though:


One of the farm managers, Brendan, in the car that they built here for a bit of fun. It is very fast but "doesn't steer or stop". Good job we saw him because he advised us not to go out later as they're going shooting:


Err, the sheds:

9 Comments:

  • Hi, my name is, Larry and I use to have problems finding geniune auto parts for my autos. In fact, I lost all confidence in locating the "exact" part I wanted to repair or modify any of my cars. Now, a few months later, after finding the website Genuine Auto Parts on the internet, I feel much better about working on my automobiles. Now I can find the car parts and accessories I need within minutes, saving me time and decreasing my frustration level. Whatever foreign or domestic part, performance part, car accessory, classic part, or other car and truck part needed, Genuine Auto Parts inventory of over 1 million parts will likely have it. Having over 4,000 Tools and other related products, you can now be more more effective in your car repairs. So, Genuine Auto Parts from Genuine Auto Parts helped me. Do you realize how nice it is? Not having to hunt...hunt..and hunt. Finally I can focus on the job at hand again. That is why I am so happy. - Please visit Genuine Auto Parts

    By Blogger Larry J Baker, at 10:17 AM  

  • be gone spammer

    By Blogger Jason Woods, at 2:26 PM  

  • Hey Larry J Baker, where were you and your frikin auto parts when Kev broke down? Do you have a shop in Hoopty Doo? Kev and his newly discovered aussie bush mechanic skills used genuine string and 4 umbrellas, beat that.

    By Blogger Jason Woods, at 1:57 AM  

  • Relax world - Larry J Baker is a happy man.

    Bit of a bugger I can't edit these comments isn't it.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:18 AM  

  • Whats $900 these days in pounds sterling? Is that American Dollars or Australian Dollars?

    I'd really like to know cause times have been bleak since I sold my soul to the devil for a doughnut.

    I've not got round to reading Larrys yet. My attention span isn't long enough.

    By Blogger Steve and Sam, at 10:58 AM  

  • kev you can delete the comments

    By Blogger Jason Woods, at 2:47 PM  

  • Nope, can't delete the spam unfortunately. We'll just have to make do abusing them instead.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:43 AM  

  • Zoe & I are in Adelaide next week...are you round that area, or are you pair still herding cattle in 'billy-bob'land of NT.

    By Blogger Rich & Zoe's Blog, at 5:30 AM  

  • We're a looooong way from Adelaide unfortunately. Are you bringing Wright's pies? We could make a slight detour for a meat and potato...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home